Tuesday, July 27, 2010

one awesome road trip



I have been on vacation from work for the past 19 days and just returned today. I survived. Enough about work.

Our family ventured on an 11 day road trip and we saw so many amazing things! I will be posting lots of pictures and details. In fact, this will help me with my journals later on when I create an album for the trip.

Here is a summary of what we saw and where we went (I am sure I am missing a few things):
  • 2000+ miles
  • 2 National Parks
  • Avenue of the Giants
  • 4 California State Parks
  • Oregon Coast
  • 1 lighthouse
  • many bridges
  • 1 Oregon State Park
  • multiple scenic highways
  • multiple National Forests
  • public transportation in Portland
  • Portland tram
  • visited 7 friends, 1 cousin (and her friends), and met my parents for 2 days along the way
  • factory tour
  • music in the park
  • brewery tour
  • food carts
  • OHSU tour
  • International Beer Festival
  • Sacramento delta
  • multiple rivers
  • stayed in a yurt
  • stayed in a historic cabin
  • we saw snow (and touched it!)
  • day 2 of our trip it was cold 50 degrees at night
  • day 9 of our trip it was hot and 108 degrees
  • we had no car trouble or highway incidents
  • a resevoir
  • and so much more...
The most important thing I enjoyed on this trip was spending time with my family and teaching my girls about the world.

Surprisingly, they adapted quickly and I am not kidding when I say they rarely asked, "Are we there, yet?" This may be due to the fact that I packed a ton of fun stuff for them to do in the car which is necessary for 6 and 3 year old. We spent many days driving and sometimes we drove 6-7 hours in a day. We did allow a small DVD player to enter the car for this trip and I am glad we did. It helped on some long stretches. Julia liked it of course, but Serena wanted nothing to do with it. In fact, Serena did not want to listen to any music or books on CD. She would rather play with a doll, color, play with her car, or read books.



The biggest hit for Julia are the Adventures in Odyssey Cd's. She LOVES them and we have been listening to them over and over and over. I bought the car travel pack and we will be getting more of them.

No comments: