Tuesday, June 30, 2009

those were the days



Way back when, about 18 years ago or so, I was working at the Fisherman's Restaurant on the pier in San Clemente. My job as hostess was not my first or my last. I worked there for about 3 years and it was a blast. Many of my friends and even my sisters worked there, too. I have no photos from that time. If anyone has some I would love to see them.

We grew up in Cyprus Cove down at the south end of SC and my sis and I would ride our bikes through the state park, down the beach, and along the trail to the pier. Those were the days when I could walk or ride my bike to work. What I wouldn't give to walk to work now. By the way, how was I able to support myself on several hundred bucks a week? I do remember eating a lot of mac and cheese.

I have fond memories of that place.

I loved the Cajun salmon, scampi, the bread and clam chowder. I witnessed gorgeous sunsets on many days while the waves crashed down below me. The best sunsets are the ones in winter when there are hues of bright reds, yellows and oranges. I met and made many lifetime friends and several of my past roommates while working there. I witnessed multiple storms and even the big one that hit California in 1992. Waves crashed over the pier and the stairs under the train tracks flooded. Amazing! My favorite season was the off season when it was deader than a doornail. The beach in the winter is a must do.

I am taking a "staycation" this week. No work for me. Today, after visiting with an old friend and her new baby, the and girls and I headed to a playground at North Beach and the Fisherman's for lunch. We sat on the front rail right above the crashing waves below. It was so much fun and the girls enjoyed hearing stories of when I worked there. It was a fun day! I cannot wait to go back with some adults and sit on the bar side.

Happy hour anyone?

I need to get off this blog. James is making the girls bean burritos for dinner and Serena is yelling at him, "Where's my bean beedo!?!" I need to go save him.

Here are some pictures from today.





No comments: